If you have products to sell and want to do so online, then you will need shopping cart software. There are many shopping cart software solutions available on the market. Some are even open source software and can therefore be downloaded and used for free. However, how do you figure out which is the perfect shopping cart software?
Shopping carts are the area on your website which display the items you have for sale. You can cross sell and up sell to customers as soon as they enter your website shop. The software will process your customer’s card payments securely and also carry out calculations for you such as adding tax rates to products. Here are a few tips to help you decide what software you should choose for your website:
1. Which application server is going to be using? Some internet server providers (ISPs) will not recommend or even allow you to mix a server code. If you happen to be using a Linux server as an example, the shopping cart ASP.NET is not worth the time and money. You should also consider using a shopping cart that uses the same language that you develop in, just in case you need to make your own changes.
2. How much effort do you want to put in yourself? There are some carts which will offer everything you need so you really won’t have to do much yourself. While other options provide you with basic tools which you must then set up yourself. If you are not able, or do not want the hassle of setting up your own cart, choose the full package option. If you prefer software which enables you to make changes yourself, choose a software package which has server behavior models.
3. What is your budget? When setting up your business, you will have allocated budgets for certain things such as marketing and your website. How much have you set aside for your website shopping cart? Firstly the shopping cart software will cost money, but make sure everything is covered within the software package. If you are setting up multiple carts, will the software allow this and does it cover all licensing fees? Also your time will need to be factored in. If you want to personalize your shopping cart and also add features, it will take you time to do this.
4. What type of products will you be selling? Some of the shopping cart software are designed for either physical products or electronic products, or both. Make sure you know which types of products you will be selling.
5. Where is your customer base located? Lots of shopping cart software is designed with the US customers base in mind. If you are doing business outside the US and sell to customers around the world, then get shopping cart software that can handle your local currency or multiple currencies.
These are but a few of the questions that you must consider before you buy shopping cart software for your site. Remember that the shopping cart is one of the most important components of your e-commerce site. Customers won’t be able to make purchases without it.